It's all about Chef Kevin Clements
Q & A with Chef Kevin Clements
- Where are you from? I'm from everywhere in the area. I've lived in Cherry Hill NJ, Maple Shade NJ, I live in West Chester right now. I've lived in Glen Mills. I pretty much lived everywhere in Jersey and Pennsylvania, I've been around.
- When did you realize you wanted to become a chef? I started in the restaurant business when I was 16yrs old as a busboy. By the time I was 19yrs old, I went to culinary school for a little bit. That's when I found my passion for cooking.
- What has been one of your most challenging moments as a chef? Well, the most challenging part here would probably be dealing with my vendors. It's hard getting specialty products. A lot of the Mexican products come right from Mexico. So it's a little difficult to get some things.
- Are there any foods or ingredients that you find challenging to cook/prepare? Seafood because I don't eat seafood. I love chicken. Anything with chicken, I can eat it.
- What's your favorite thing to cook in the comfort of your own home? I'm lazy, I go out to eat a lot! Me and my wife both work in a restaurant so we like to go out a lot. But if I cook at home, I like to make spaghetti and hand made meatballs. And sausage, I love making sausage and peppers and stuff like that. Desserts too, I love desserts. I can do it all!
- Do you have anyone in the culinary field that you admire? Not really, because I'm kinda self taught. I dropped out of culinary school. I only went there for about six months. So I'm pretty much self taught and I've been taught by other people I've worked with. To me, I've always had a hard time learning in school. So like, having that hands on training, I've learned so much through my career
- What other cuisines have you cooked other than Mexican? I've really only been cooking Mexican food. I've worked in a steakhouse before, I've worked in a couple steak places here and there, but mostly Mexican.
- Did you enjoy working at a steakhouse? Not really, it's not my thing. Like, this is my cuisine. It just comes natural. The restaurant that I came from before was another Mexican restaurant and then I came here. So it was like, pretty easy for me to pick up the recipes and everything else here.
- If you could cook anywhere in the world, where would it be? Probably in the Caribbean, sitting on the beach cooking!
- Outside from being a chef, what does Kevin Clements love to do on his down time? I like to gamble. I like to play Roulette. I'm also remodeling my house right now. I do everything myself which also helps out in the restaurant business because I can also help do other stuff.
- Do you have any aspirations of opening your own restaurant in the future? I would love to open my own restaurant.
- Do you think you would open up a Mexican restaurant? I don't think I would. I would do something like a Pub. Do a bar, serve bar food. Do my own twist of bar stuff that I would like to do.
- Do you have any advice that you would like to share for someone who may be a novice chef? I think just go out there and try to do it. Work in a restaurant, get on the line and do everything. Experience it. I've done everything in a restaurant. I was a busboy, server, bartender, dish washer, line cook. I've done everything. It's easier to work with other people, when you know what they're gonna do. Like, I know what the bartender is gonna do, I know what they need. Get your hands dirty, that's the best way to do it.